Thursday, July 23, 2009

Summer Sensations

Last week I saw a commercial on t.v. for the new promo at Swiss Chalet. Summer Sensations! Wow...chicken and fries annnnd ice cream! Chocolate sundaes are my favorite dessert...especially when they are topped with whipped cream and a cherry! So I decided that I would round up the family and we would have a nice dinner out.

Now we don't dine out with the kids that often. I mean we eat out....but its either me and Dave or we just get take out. Marli is young so she doesn't do well in restaurants yet, so we rather just eat it at home. But tonight we decided to dine in since you can only get the ice cream when you do so. This was my first mistake.

Let me break it down for you....

We walk in and its quite busy...no wait time, but the dining room is booming. Now I used to be a server, so when I walk into situations like this I have an open mind as well as trying to figure out how I would be if I was working this shift. I tell ya I would have rocked that dining room, but let's move on. The hostess seats us and doesn't bring any cutlery to our table as well does not give Reese something to colour on. Dah well. We don't open our menus as we already know what we are going to order so we wait for the server. She doesn't come for like 15 minutes..literally. By this time Marli is all fired up. Se has this talking thing right now where she screams and grunts at you when she is trying to get your attention. Shit..she is 15 months...this is what she does. I did bring some snacks and juice for her to try and keep her busy. I notice the server jetting around her section and I say to Dave, "Our server is in the WEEEDS!!". Again..I used to be a server and I know far to well when someone is in the weeds. Think about it...someone jetting around in a lost like pattern...sweat on her face and eyes bulging so far out of her head that you think she was lost in the dark. That is the WEEDS. I start analyzing the situation and wonder where the F is her manager and why are they not helping her. After sometime we finally get our order in and wait for our food. The time is slowly passing by and its getting harder to keep the scream box quiet. Here is where it gets interesting...

I notice an old man, about 70 I would say get up and walk our way to go to the bathroom. As he passes our table Marli decides to let our another scream. Now let me say...its not like screaming crying or screaming at the top of her lungs. Its more of a yalp?? Anywho..

Old Stupid Man: "Shut UP!" - and then keeps walking towards the bathroom.

(Marli...confused look on her face as to who the F is this person and why are they all up in my shit!)

Dave AKA The Hulk AKA Uncle Roid AKA The dude about to beat up someones grandpa: "Did he just tell her to shut up????!!!!!!"

Me (scared and noticing all the other tables around us starting to looks at us) "ummm I think he did"

*this is a special note to people that don't know the other side of Dave. Yes he is a kind man, sweet and polite...but there is a switch on the back of Dave's neck...we like to call this switch the DO NOT FUCK WITH MY FAMILY switch*

Me: "Now Dave..settle down...don't get riled up. He's an old man doesn't even know what he is saying" as I am literally restraining him.

The Green Man: "I don't give a shit how old he is...I am going to kick his ASS!"

Pause.

Pause.

Then Dave flings my hand off his arm and stomps towards the bathroom. HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT!!! I am about to get arrested and head home in a cop car and they will take away my children. I wait trying to be patiently as I have watching eyes wondering what is transpiring. Then I see Dave return to the table with his switch now turned off.

Me: "What did you do?" cuz I don't see the old man anywhere!

Dave: "He was standing at the urinal and I walked up behind him and asked him if he brought a walker in with him. He said no, and then I said that he better SHUT HIS MOUTH NEXT TIME OR YOU WILL BE LEAVING IN ONE! Then I said that just because he is old doesn't mean he has to be rude"

Me:"Alrighty then"

The old man came out of the washroom and walked past our table to his and never said a peep. I mean I get he was rude and he should have never said that to Marli. She is a baby and we are in Swiss Chalet for peets sake. I don't think she was ruining your expensive dinner. But men and their testosterone just take it over the top. We had to run this by some of our friends and every guy said the same thing. "I would have kicked is ass!"

After all that we finally got our dinner...shoveled it down our throats and went home...an hour and a half later!! WTF Swiss Chalet is suppose to be like an in and out thing...

I guess I will be sticking to our take out and enjoying our meals and screams in the comfort of our own home...

6 comments:

Ange Windley said...

That's amazing, I can totally relate to the kids in restaurants issue!! AND, Swiss Chalet is a family restaurant! We always complain about their service...
I cannot believe that old man. I would have piped up instantly, Ryan would have been the calm on in our family, lol.
And, thats why we love take out :)

Kareen said...

Mush, I love this!! Everyone mom can relate to this 'event' and those who say they dont...LIE!!! lol...love the posts, keep them coming and I miss you and the fam girl!! Kiss my man for me and squeeze the gurls! ;)

Christine Shadd said...

So was the ice cream sundae worth it?

Anonymous said...

The nerve of that old man!!!! I would have liked to bop him one! I think Dave did the right thing!!
ps- I love your posts!! keep them coming...
LeanneO

The Lurker said...

Laughing my arse off right now! THE WEEDS! Will we never be able to eat out without analyzing the entire situation and grading the performance of the serving staff?
I wouldn't have drawn blood, but I agree with Dave...being old is no excuse to be rude.
Next time make the Sundae at home!

mamabug said...

too funny.......Mark would have done the same thing.

I am so glad your outings are as interesting as some of ours. Remind me to tell you of the time a punk ass kid knocked Hunter over. Good story!