Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Best and Worst of MushMush

I thought that a countdown of stories from my life to my 30th birthday would be fun and embarrassing at the same time. A little trip down memory lane of things that I am glad I don't ever have to do again and lessons I have learned to get me to my next milestone. Grab some cookies, a blanket and a spiked cup of hot chocolate friends...it may get crazy!

My first entry I think will have to do with one of the things I am happy I never have to do again...well maybe once I hit my Golden Years I will try it again or I will call up my grand kids and make them drive my wrinkly ass around town!

I have to say I am glad I no longer have to rely on the good ol' Kitchener Transit or as it is called today...Grandriver Transit. I will not miss those morning where I would wake up realising that I didn't set my alarm clock the night before...rushing to get dressed, get my backpack, dial 888-..... and hear the annoying lady say, "Route....3....Downtown Terminal....comes in....(holy shit lady just tell me how much time my half black ass has to get to the stop that is 5 min away!!) 2 minutes. Tearing up the street as fast as I could...JUST! to see the friggen bus drive right passed me. Frig me I hated those mornings!!

Nope can't say I will miss those times in the winter, standing at the stop with no bloody shelter, snow gusting all around me, freezing my ass off. Looking at my clock and seeing the bus is 30 minutes late!! Won't miss the days of wanting to go see my friend on the other side of town and have to take 3 damn buses to get there and 90 minutes later.

Can't say I will miss it. But I will tell you this of the great transit system. Memories. Good and bad, happy and sad. Most of my memories from my teenage years is from taking the bus. Sitting at the terminal with my friends laughing at random things and people. Getting on the bus with all the regulars and "kickin" it. Using the old transfer system by stocking up on transfers then handing them out to your friends like it was drugs and you ran the business. Going to a party on a Saturday night...sleeping over to realise that their bus doesn't run on Sunday's and your ass is stuck way the F out in Chicopee and you need to call upon a friend to come pick you up:)

I really could go on forever...but the bus helped me in many ways. I could really go wherever I wanted (just had to wait for it), but I didn't need my mom. I was growing up! And for that! I thank you Grandriver Transit System...Thanks for the memories!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's some good stuff. Since I've never taken public transportation I can't feel your pain;) But I'll admit you almost made it seem like I missed out:)-


Dave

MushMush said...

You are the reason why I stopped taking the bus:) You had a car so I called you in times of need to come pick me up:) Thanks!!

Christine Shadd said...

ahh ha ha. I used the take the bus to try and be COOL like my friends. My mom would come get me where ever and when ever, but I insisted on taking GRT to be COOL. The closest bust stop was at conestoga mall (which is like 20 min walk from my house..lol). GHETTO!