Tuesday, June 16, 2009

No longer the Superhero to my 3 year old

It has happened....my daughter has hit her teenage years. She has somehow managed to stay the same size...but morph into a teenager overnight! Amazing! I Know!

She no longer wants anything to do with our family. She's moody when she is "stuck" with us, she sleeps late, she only comes inside to demand something to eat or drink, she is a typical teenager. The culprit...her new friends she has that live behind us. From the second she wakes in the morning, she wants to know if her friends are outside and will not retire for the evening until its dark. You can try to bribe her with ice cream and toys...no dice. She is into her friends and loving every second of playtime she has.

I get it, I do. Who would want to hang out with a boring me...and a even more boring 14 month old. But I am a little heart broken. I watch her play all day and giggle and laugh. Her skin is darkening from the sun and she is worn OUT come bed time. She just doesn't need us the way she used to and she is growing up so fast! Starting school in the fall and literally jumping for joy about it. I am happy to see my daughter grow up and experience new things in life. I am excited to see her have memories of all these things I remember as a child. Its just crazy to know how easily they can let go of their parents in lieu of a friend.

I will always be there though when she comes home. There will be a time when they don't get along and I will feel like I won the battle for that day. I will also hold her just a little bit longer when she does want to snuggle. Girls may be "daddy's little girl" but they will always need their mom, especially when she needs the recipe for cabbage rolls when she is older.

1 comment:

Kareen said...

Have you been reading my mind???I know just what you mean..the adttitude..the looks...the "I really dont want to be bothered by you" ....too funny..