Tuesday, April 28, 2009

13 going on 30

I am having some back and forth feeling about turning 30 this year. I mean once your 30...there is no room for stupid little mistakes, be more mature...you know all that jazz. There is a lot you can get away with in your 20's...you decide on getting a new tattoo or decide to buy that fast sports car..you can get away with that cuz your in your 20's and your trying out all sorts of things to see what works. Well in your 30's...you better have your shit together! No more excuses. You try getting your hair permed in your 30's just to see what it would look like...and see how many people will question your sanity.

There is also the question as to..."What will I wear in my 30's?". No more showing your midriff (like I showed it anyways in the past 8 years...no one needs to see the road map on my war torn body)...no more shopping in stores like Stitches or Garage...you shop there and BAM! your a cougar! I gotta find a balance...this will be tough. I don't want to look like a kid again...but I also don't want to look like a ol'housewife either.

I know one thing for sure...even thoough this adjustment is going to take some time getting used to, I'd much rather turn 30..then have to be 13 again. I had a great childhood...wasn't made fun of too much, but it was always awkward. Guys never liked me growing up. I mean I know I didn't have much to offer than the occasional headband in my dry unruly fro. Or the biggest chunkiest glasses known to man...but I was funny and cute...guess it didn't matter. I was always the 3rd wheel...crushing on guys that just talked to me to get to my friend. That's some awkward shit! I won't miss wishing someone would want to be my boyfriend or wondering what the girls thought of my new hairstyle (which when I rocked the braids with the beads....everyone wished they had my hair!!!). Being a teenager is tough! I witnessed this the other day when the Hubby and I went to the moovies. We watched as all these teenyboppers grouped together...at least one of them you could see was uncomfortable as the others tried to push a crush on them. Who are they going to sit beside and who they needed to impress. It was exhausting watching them! I defiantly won't miss those days.

As I approach my 30's I feel soo much more comfortable in my own skin. I have a husband that doesn't mind my dry unruly fro in the morning...or my chunky geeky glasses. All my stretch marks and all the gigglies..I'm okay with them...I really am. And I can get away with all these things...cuz I am 30...no need to impress my friends or boys. I can just be me and people will love me or hate me and I know my life won't be over in doing so.

So to my year of turning 30...I raise a non-alcoholic (BOO!) glass of champagne to you.....Very excited and ready to face what ever you have next for me....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok,, so I was anxiously awaiting your next blog,, is that weird? lol
Love this one! Love them all,, but yep, I have to agree with you 100%. I can't stop think about turning 30, this is gonna be one wild year! I'm thinking that 30 won't be so dirty,, because as you said, I couldn't PAY to be a teenager again-- I too see teens out and about and it brings back some crazy memories! The best thing in the world is just being yourself, and now that I've found her, it's so much easier!
Don't worry,, I will have plenty of drinks for you on my birthday ok? If I'm still not 'up the spout' with my own in November, then you can bet I'll drink for you on your 30th ok?

Thanks for the great read!

Sheila :)

mamabug said...

Hey I've been in the 30 club for a year now and it's not bad....you'll be just fine. And when we can raise a real glass of champange you better believe we will do it in S T Y L E!

Kareen said...

Guurrlll, you know your ass will be 30 and STILL fwwwiiinnnneee! I have had some of the same thoughts as you but we will be okay..next time we see eachother..we'll have to have a drink...hey, kook aids aight wit me! ;) Luv ya, squeeze my man and the gurls for us!